Future Crew Forums

• July 20, 2018, 01:51:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Join us on Steam, our group name is Future Crew!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "How To Not Suck At CQC/SMG Infil" Videos are done, finally!  (Read 4043 times)

ItZMuRdA

• Queer
    • View Profile
    • Live Stream
"How To Not Suck At CQC/SMG Infil" Videos are done, finally!
« on: August 17, 2013, 08:41:01 AM »

Posted these all over the interwebs already, but thought I'd share them here as well. My first real attempt at a true massive tutorial video rather than just basic highlights or analysis, so hopefully they might help someone out, or at least I'm interested in hearing some feedback, especially from TwF and 213 and those of you who run Infil often. It's in two parts, part 1 goes over everything regarding loadouts, and part 2 goes into more gameplay analysis.

Enjoy.

Part 1 - Loadout Selection and Item Overview

Part 2 - Gameplay Analysis, Tips, and Mechanics
-ItZMuRdA-

Other Characters:
NC: ItZMuRdA
TR: xItZMuRdAx
VS: xItZMuRdA

theBauce

• Queer
  • Boners
    • View Profile
Re: "How To Not Suck At CQC/SMG Infil" Videos are done, finally!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 11:18:26 AM »

And so, with this begins the nerf of thy Holy SMG.  I knew thee well my faithful Smig...

Good videos for those looking to step their game up a bit.

Hitback

• Queer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 07:44:40 PM »

What? you mean blindly running headlong into massed enemy troops is wrong? Feels like fun to me.

ItZMuRdA

• Queer
    • View Profile
    • Live Stream
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 08:29:39 PM »

And so, with this begins the nerf of thy Holy SMG.  I knew thee well my faithful Smig...

Good videos for those looking to step their game up a bit.

lol I hope not man. I've been streaming it for awhile with Higby and folks watching, so I think it's mostly safe. The Fury Flash, on the other hand, I'm pretty sure I abused the hell out of on stream too much and had something to do with that one.

Thanks for the props though.
-ItZMuRdA-

Other Characters:

JimiJazz

• Queer
  • Thug Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 12:32:53 PM »

cool video man, i enjoyed watching it

NUKABAZOOKA

• Queer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 04:25:03 PM »

I can think of two things I'm (probably) responsible for nerfing:

Vortex damage vs infantry,
Tower wire sniping.

Whoops.
Fecal Fuhrer

Deity

• Queer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 11:57:22 AM »

Vortex damage getting buffed again. I would assume it isn't by much but nevertheless the peasants shall die in droves.

Hitback

• Queer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 04:40:02 PM »

Vortex damage getting buffed again. I would assume it isn't by much but nevertheless the peasants shall die in droves.

Right, ban Nuka from using it so it isn't nerfed again.

Nabeshin-J

• Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »

Doming snipers with it was pretty hilarious.

ItZMuRdA

• Queer
    • View Profile
    • Live Stream
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 11:01:35 AM »

TRay keeps trolling me about my low graphic settings, so I created a new video to troll back a little bit. I'm not so good at this type of stuff -- let me know how I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uk0XkJmiLc
-ItZMuRdA-

Other Characters:

Velenne

• Aspirant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 04:12:39 AM »

Great videos.  These are what really sold me on picking up PS2.  I've put hundreds of hours into stealth classes in other games and I love how they're implemented here.   I had a few questions after watching these and must admit I've only watched a small handful of your other videos so I apologize if you've answered these ad nauseum.

1 - You mention an upcoming Inf patch and I see these videos were posted in August.  Was the Inf changed between then and now, or is that patch still in the pipeline?

2 - Do you encounter situations where the Inf just isn't equipped to help your team win?  What are those situations so I know what to look for?

3 - I care much more about winning objectives than k/d ratio and yet I see your videos are pretty much focused on fragging.  Is this more representative of the Inf's role in PS2?  (I'm more familiar with the stealth class's role being one of recon and sort of 'making a path' for the rest of the team.  This seems to not be the case here.  You play the Inf like an assassin.... which I admit is very appealing.)

4 - You do a bit of grenade lobbing but mostly as a means of redirection as far as I can tell.  Do you not get much use out of nades?  How soon should I pick up those AoE devices?

ItZMuRdA

• Queer
    • View Profile
    • Live Stream
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 06:02:11 AM »

Great videos.  These are what really sold me on picking up PS2.  I've put hundreds of hours into stealth classes in other games and I love how they're implemented here.   I had a few questions after watching these and must admit I've only watched a small handful of your other videos so I apologize if you've answered these ad nauseum.

1 - You mention an upcoming Inf patch and I see these videos were posted in August.  Was the Inf changed between then and now, or is that patch still in the pipeline?

It was originally scheduled for much sooner, but the recent optimization efforts have significantly delayed it (as with any other new content). I hope to see it in the next month or two, but it's hard to say for sure right now. It's currently the next scheduled class update.

2 - Do you encounter situations where the Inf just isn't equipped to help your team win?  What are those situations so I know what to look for?

Certainly. On a personal farming level it's usually with regard to anti-vehicle or anti-MAX capabilities. I'm really glad we finally spoke up enough about getting them to add MAX minimap icons so that we don't try to get the jump on someone just to realize it is a MAX after it's too late. At the moment, our EMPs are useless against them and I'm hoping that changes so that we have some means of better escape if nothing else.

On a team play level, it is often noticed during scrims or matches against higher caliber teams that function well as tight knit infantry units. Infils are great at flanking and picking people off while disappearing back into the shadows just to do it again moments later. Unfortunately, when you're fighting a sophisticated and skilled team running 6-12 or more guys in the exact same area, often a very defensible one, it becomes increasingly hard to be effective as an Infiltrator from a killing perspective. You are often left with the option of sitting back with your squad just to remain alive, or at least in rez range, picking up far less kills due to the ranged effectiveness (or lack thereof) of your SMG -- sometimes the NS-7 or scout rifles could work here if you have no other option. The other option is going in anyway, but it usually only awards you a couple of kills before the other team wises up and takes you out before you can retreat to cover, almost always resulting in you dying outside of rez range and the kills you just got being resurrected anyway by the enemy medics. A difficult balance to find, and at these points sometimes the only real reason you are there is for sensor darts and EMP grenades on organized pushes, otherwise you'd be far more effective as a killing machine if you were playing another class.

3 - I care much more about winning objectives than k/d ratio and yet I see your videos are pretty much focused on fragging.  Is this more representative of the Inf's role in PS2?  (I'm more familiar with the stealth class's role being one of recon and sort of 'making a path' for the rest of the team.  This seems to not be the case here.  You play the Inf like an assassin.... which I admit is very appealing.)

I think it's more the fact that "public" PS2, that is, on live servers fighting random opponents, is largely about farming kills (or fragging). This is true for whatever class you play, at least, it is for most of us. While you can play the team play objective-based game, the fact stands that in its current state it is most efficient to be killing as many people and earning as much experience as you can per hour -- the public meta game just isn't there enough to encourage many of us to do something else. I still enjoy this personally, even though some people don't, and as such build my classes and make my decisions around maximizing those kills in a given time frame. The Infil excels at it because you can really do work behind enemy lines when your enemies are a bunch of pugs that aren't very organized, but as I said in the above paragraph there is certainly a place for being the recon/support Infiltrator during competitive team play, and even during public play (though perhaps to less advantage if the rest of your empire isn't really taking advantage of your efforts). That all said, even playing in an outfit squad on live servers still allows you to play the support role if you like -- your squad will be eternally grateful for your recon detect device no matter what the case.

4 - You do a bit of grenade lobbing but mostly as a means of redirection as far as I can tell.  Do you not get much use out of nades?  How soon should I pick up those AoE devices?

You are correct in the assumption that (at least, in my opinion) grenades are not very good in this game with the exception of a few (Revive grenades for medics, Concussion grenades [and situational AV grenades] for Heavies). Frags currently don't pack enough of an impact to really get you a lot of kills -- sometimes they do, but often times they just redirect or wound your opponents, which is also fine if you go into it knowing just that. I don't know how many times I've thrown them into a pile of 5 guys just to get 0 kills and only damage indicators, be it because of Flak or Nanoweave armor, or just a relatively weak explosion radius if the enemy isn't sitting directly on top of it. That said, I find EMP grenades to be even weaker in pub play because they flat out don't get you any direct chance at a kill. Most of the time you could do without them when it comes to taking down an enemy, and frags just give that extra chance at a kill or redirection (as you mentioned) to scatter some enemies. If you like support, however, you can certainly run with an EMP because it will almost always have greater team benefit than a Frag grenade, and I do use EMPs during competitive matches and team play.

I'm not sure I understood the last part of the question with regard to when you should pick up AoE devices. If you're speaking about grenades, you have Frags by default so I'd just go with that unless you want to play the die hard support role, and you could pick up EMPs when you feel like you have the basics certed out otherwise. If you are speaking about the sensor dart as a means of "AoE," then I definitely recommend certing out at least the first few ranks of it (the ones that are cheap before the 500/1000 cert ranks) to get the most out of it, because it is an extremely powerful tool (the #1 reason to have an Infiltrator in your squad/platoon) for both yourself and your team.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

-ItZMuRdA-

Other Characters:

Velenne

• Aspirant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 10:53:46 AM »

Wow thanks for that feedback!  I hadn't considered the idea of organizing a competitive match against another outfit on the same server but I'll bet that's incredible. 

I'm pretty much sold on purchasing the T2 SMG (Sirius) and secondary you recommend in your videos.  I'm ready to start playing the way I want and using that to flesh out my secondary preferences and vehicles.

Ref AoE: I was having a brain fart and couldn't come up with the term "mines".  C4, bouncing betties, claymore... but you answered the gist of the question either way.

I'll keep perusing your videos.

ItZMuRdA

• Queer
    • View Profile
    • Live Stream
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 12:19:57 PM »

Wow thanks for that feedback!  I hadn't considered the idea of organizing a competitive match against another outfit on the same server but I'll bet that's incredible. 

I'm pretty much sold on purchasing the T2 SMG (Sirius) and secondary you recommend in your videos.  I'm ready to start playing the way I want and using that to flesh out my secondary preferences and vehicles.

Ref AoE: I was having a brain fart and couldn't come up with the term "mines".  C4, bouncing betties, claymore... but you answered the gist of the question either way.

I'll keep perusing your videos.

Thanks much, glad to help. Regarding the proximity mines, as that would be the choice for a VS Infiltrator, they can be effective at "tower defense," but I personally prefer a more active role. The only time I really use them is when there are large heaps of enemies that I think placing one mine down amidst will earn me multiple kills per explosion. The fact is, Medkits are the main alternative and they really just complement the playstyle a lot better, imo.
-ItZMuRdA-

Other Characters:

Caboose

• Queer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 01:40:53 PM »

Not to mention the fact that you get 5 of them, instead of 2 prox mines.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

BlackRain , 2006 by Crip